A message about Open Door’s services during Covid-19
During to the current Covid-19 outbreak, our priority is for the safety of our guests, volunteers and staff.
To prevent our guests gathering outside, even for takeaway meals, we have now made the decision to stop serving food from our premises and INSTEAD to deliver items to our most vulnerable.
Our services will change as government advice changes and will post updates here.
Please see below for different advice for GUESTS and SITE VISITORS:
For SITE VISITORS:
We are now supporting many guests in the community and 50 previously-homeless guests now in temporary accommodation. This means we need a LOT of specific food parcel items! If you would like to donate, please read below what we can and cannot take.
If you’d like to arrange to deliver items, please email us at email@example.com
We really need:
- Pot noodles
- Cuppa soup
- Instant pasta soup sachets (like “Mug Shots”)
- Tinned ham and corned beef
- Tinned fruit, rice pudding and custard
- Tinned potatoes, peas, carrots
- UHT milk
- Chocolate, biscuits, chewy bars, etc.
- Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel
We CANNOT take donations of:
- Fresh food*
- Frozen food*
- Catering-sized food of any type*
- Street kit (tents and sleeping bags, etc)
- Blankets, duvets, housewares
- Clothes etc.
- We have lots and lots of dried pasta and baked beans thanks to generous donors!
*You can search for “Cheltenham Mutual Aid” online for information on where these kinds of foods may be needed.
At the moment we have sufficient volunteers for the outreach work we will continue to do. If you wish to support us in other ways, we need donations of the listed food items and and financial support to keep going. Our Donate page has details. Thank you!
If you wish to drop off items, please email us first at firstname.lastname@example.org
DO NOT have symptoms of Covid 19, and
Are NOT in a high risk group, and
Are physically able
you must take government advice:
- Do your own shopping
- Do this as rarely as you can (do not shop little and often)
- Only go out for shopping, medical supplies/appointments and for ONE daily walk or run.
- Do NOT gather in groups, meet friends or spend time with people outside of your household
DO have symptoms of Covid 19, or
ARE in a high risk group, or
ARE NOT physically able:
- If you are in supported accommodation, please speak to your Support Worker for assistance
- If you live in Council or Private accommodation, or are street homeless, we may be able to bring you a weekly food parcel of dried goods.
Please ring or text 07504 337 624 and leave your name, telephone number and address. We will get back to you to check your situation and, if appropriate, arrange a delivery.
Please DO NOT ring this number if you have a support worker OR you do not have symptoms, a disability or any high risk factors.
PLEASE, wherever you can, stay at home and stay safe. Do not gather in groups.
All year round services at 39 Grosvenor Street…
We are a local charity with a mix of staff and volunteers who provide support to vulnerable, disadvantaged and lonely people. We offer a variety of services in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. These include companionship and respect, food and drink, showering and laundry, access to outreach workers and other support for those in need.
Guest quote: Open Door was much needed for me when I first came to Cheltenham seeking accommodation. Not having to worry about food in the initial five weeks helped massively. Hugely grateful I still come back occasionally to see familiar friends and faces and the Sunday fry-up!
Guests are welcomed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays from 9.30am to 1pm.
Breakfast is served from 9.30am (cereals, toasts and spreads). Hot drinks are available throughout these times and guests can socialise in our dining and lounge areas. A hot, two-course meal is served at 12 noon.
On Sundays we serve a cooked breakfast from 9.45am until 11.45am with sandwiches to take away.
On Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 7pm we offer sandwiches to guests who meet outside Marks and Spencer’s, Cheltenham High Street.
If you would like to drop items off to us, please look at our Donate page to see what we need. We can take any donations at the times shown above. To make arrangements for other times, please call 01242 577418 or email email@example.com
Tweets by @cheltopendoor